Monday, March 17, 2008

A "Game" of Cat and Mouse

You look very
Handsome tonight
The cat said to
The mouse.
Wait a minute
Said the mouse
If by that you mean
I'm edible
I'll give you some
Kumquats instead.

Kumquats, shumquats
Said the cat
Come a little closer
I want you
For a movie
About a
Haunted house.
But you
Understand
Of course
The mouse
Will end up dead.

The cat was on
The move now
Eyes glowing yellow
In the dark.
Stay where you are
Cried the mouse
His back against
The wall.
Maybe you're
A liar like
All the other cats
I know.
The cat smiled
Unseen
No I want to be
Your agent
I think we'll
Have a ball.

I don't know from movies
I don't know
How to act
Said the mouse.
You'll play a mouse
For God's sake
Just be yourself and
You'll do fine
Said the sneaking cat.
But like many
Would-be stars
The mouse noticed way
Too late
The cat had crossed
The room -
The last thing he
Remembered was...

I won't be in
A movie
About a haunted
House.
I won't be
Playing the lead
They'll get a
Bigger mouse
Perhaps they'll even
Get a rat.
I should have been
More careful, 'cause
If a cat is
In the room
A mouse must know
At all times
Where that cat
Is at!

This poem was originally published on January 31, 2006

[© 2006 by Ansohn; 2008 by Jacob Anson. All Rights Reserved.]

5 comments:

HARLEQUIN said...

beautiful real poem! I love it! ...... yes, that kitten (Chik) is ours, replacement for dog, 24 December 2011 WAS run over by car! Once Tom bigger, even going to get a dog! :)

Small City Scenes said...

So if the wife knows and the cat is cunning the poor mouse is the dupe----I always vote for the underdog----well not always.
Neat poem. You are so clever. MB

Small City Scenes said...

I do like the poem too. Not only is it cute and clever but it has a great visual. MB

Small City Scenes said...

I like this poem too. It is cute and clever and has a great visual. MB

Lowell said...

You both are very kind. Thank you!