Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Mystery


There are times
When it would seem
A mystery hovers in the void
To make its presence known
In ways both banal
And profound
 Before my eyes of stone.
I have found it 
Quite impossible
To believe
In magic or in mystery
Or in the grand delusion
Of gods up in the sky
Their nosy noses poking
Knife-like, carving up the lives
Of the people of the earth --
The sons and daughters of
A spartan evolution
A momentary birthing
Which all too soon
Collapses into mystery itself --
The uncomprehending
And uncaring, often cruel
Universe.

© 2012 by Lowell A. Anderson.  All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

Davidlind said...

It seems that you are saying you don't believe in magic or mystery but then the mystery is "in the void". And the world collapses at a point into "mystery itself". So do you believe in mysteries? And does the existence of mystery in the world mean there may be a force creating mystery in our lives?

Cezar and Léia said...

Are you Greek?
God bless you!
Cezar

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Well, that's all very true!!!! Good one.

Karen said...

A wonderful poem, Lowell. . .

Are you saying that you have a difficult time believing in things that you cannot see? Things such as God or "higher power," or am I making it more spiritual than it actually is?

Small City Scenes said...

Yea verily! MB

stardust said...

As science develops, most of things have come to be explained, which is so nice, but still there are mystery and wonder, which I love, though I’m not sure we humans are progressing or regressing through evolution. (Maybe I read too far?)

Yoko

stardust said...

Regarding your latest comment -
I agree, the universe and this world is magical and beautiful on its own without mythology, though I think mythology is interesting because it depicts what people valued or feared, the meaning of life and death, and the likes. I I think only Greek philosopher and Buddha knew the mechanism of the universe in that ancient times: everything is in the state of flux.

I’m a fan of a poet Lowel/Jacob.

Yoko